Donate Today

Buffalo Central Terminal

Center for Restoration Arts and Sciences

Buffalo Central Terminal is a leader in revitalization of Western New York.

Buffalo Central Terminal opened to the public on June 22, 1929. Built by the New York Central Railroad and designed by architects Alfred T. Fellheimer & Steward Wagner, the art deco style station was built to accommodate up to 3200 passengers per hour, or 200 trains per day. The complex consists of the main concourse, a 17 story office tower, a four story baggage building and two story mail building along Curtiss Street, and the now detached train concourse. The complex sits on a 17 acre site 2.5 miles east of downtown Buffalo.

Buffalo Central Terminal, besides being an instantly recognizable element of the Buffalo skyline and a cultural landmark, could once again serve as a gateway to the city by utilizing the opportunities presented by its location and the current system of networks which pass through or near the structure. Through reactivation of these dormant systems, the Terminal could provide transportation for suburbanites to the city, welcome both domestic and international tourists to the city, and connect the east coast to midwest without delays, all from its existing site and without severe infrastructure disturbance or interruption.

  • The Buffalo Central Terminal stands in defiance of time to form a tangible link to our past and a gateway to our future.

    Marilyn Rodgers

    Executive Director of the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation

Join the conversation and let your voice be heard.